The University of South Wales (USW) sought to commercialise a novel point of care device, developed by USW researchers, for rapidly testing COVID-19.
The University was working with Public Health Wales, the University Health
Board and local industry to collaboratively develop the device to meet regulatory, clinical and commercial requirements. The University required external innovation management support for product development, market access and commercialisation strategy.
We took a market insight driven approach and delivered a feasibility study followed by a resulting commercialisation strategy.
The outputs included:
- Development of a Product Development Plan which included a regulatory roadmap and ongoing innovation management support.
- A Community Health Needs Analysis which involved matching the point of care test with unmet needs in COVID-19 testing and the Government 5-pillar testing strategy
- Market Analysis which included a freedom to operate search, IP strategy advice and competitor and market opportunity assessment.
- Commercialisation Strategy advice –assessment of three commercialisation options: spin-out company; licensing the technology or sale of IP.
- Development of a 5-year Business Plan which involved collating the insights and evidence gained into a 5-year business plan, including financial forecasting.
Outcomes and Impact
The phased approach enabled USW to consider the insights and analysis of the feasibility study before deciding on their preferred commercialisation option, as well as securing further funding.
As a result, a spinout company, Llusern Scientific Ltd., was created. As a platform technology company, Llusern are considering how this method of testing can be used for the detection of other diseases, including Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs).
The team won the 2021 University Alliance Innovation Award.
“HTE offered a holistic approach including market research, technology development planning and IP management to support our academic team to take their novel point of care diagnostic from lab to manufactured product. HTE shaped their service to meet the challenging environment of the pandemic and completed the work on time and to budget. The team were very easy to work with and I can’t recommend them highly enough.” Lucas Brown, Innovation Manager, Research & Innovation Services.